Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Krohn 2010 Road Trip...day 5

March 7, 2010
Houghton, NY to Orlando, FL
Fantastic time at church with the Webbs this morning!! We loved meeting their friends, and had a good time listening to one of the Houghton professors speak on dreams in the Muslim world.

After a delicious lunch and packing up our things, we finally got on the road to head to Orlando. The plan was to drive all night, or as far as we could make it so that we could arrive in Orlando sometime Monday afternoon/evening.  Jeff made it until 5:30am which is very remarkable!  I woke up a bit later and took the wheel for a couple hrs.  We noticed that we didn't see any more snow once we left Harrisburg, PA.

The highlight of this leg was that we drove through Washington, D.C. at 10pm!! The streets were empty and there was hardly any traffic (Sunday night) so we were able to drive right up to the Capital Building! It was so cool, I thought it was especially cool after watching the West Wing and seeing all these buildings!  We drove past the White House--I was surprised that you actually can't get super close, though really, it's not that surprising since it is the home of our President.  We drove along the mall and then Jeff dropped the boys and I off at a stop sign next to the Lincoln Memorial and we ran up there and got some pictures!  There were a few people there and it was just fabulous seeing this famous landmark...I hope to go back someday when we can really explore our nation's capital. (all of a sudden I'm blanking on capitol/capital and thinking I should have put capitol...if you write it too many times they all look wrong...can someone correct me please?)

After finally getting out of the Pennsylvania Avenue area, we were on our way again...driving past the PENTAGON!!  This was uber cool since I've always wanted to be a spy...and work for the CIA...which I'm actually horrible at lying, and definitely crack under pressure...so it wasn't really an ideal job opportunity, but I like to pretend!! 

Kids did great and of course slept all night in the car!!

No comments: