Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sophia's ear infection...and first ER experience

March13
My baby is sick!!  Somehow the fact that she is a super itty bitty peanut, makes it hard for me to see her sick!  I finally relented and took her in to the doctor since she has been running a fever for almost 10 days and had a runny nose and cough.

Jennifer and I decided that our only option was to take her to Mariner's Hospital in Tavernier (the next Key between Islamorada and Key Largo).  We arrived around 3pm and waited and waited and waited.  Sophia was super fussy and cried most of the time we were in the lobby..there ended up being 4 other people behind us when we were finally given a room inside the ER.  I had given Sophia some tylenol and so when they took her temp, it was normal...but the longer she sat there, the more agitated she became and her fever finally spiked again at 101.6.  The nurses gave her some tylenol, and explained that the doctor had encountered some serious problems with other patients and they were sorry that we were having to wait so long.  We finally saw the doctor close to 6:45pm and he looked at her ears and saw liquid and knew that's what was causing her fever and irritation (and cough).  He prescribed some Amoxicilin and she is currently taking that now and is much, much better!!!

We were in the ER for 4 hours, and while it was not ideal, I had the best time with Jennifer just yakking it up in there!!  To me, besides Sophia being sick, it was one of the highlights of our trip so far!!!  I love you Jen!!!!

No comments: