Monday, December 31, 2012

2013...ready or not


New Years Eve is the time to make those resolutions for the new year.  The goals that you want to accomplish, the diets that you want to go on, the races you want to run, and basically anything that you didn't do the last year.  So, here are the top 13 things I’m aiming to sort of get close to nailing right on the head in 2013 (in absolutely no order of importance):

1.  Being more intentional in calling people.  If you know me, you think I jest, but just you wait when I call you instead of emailing, texting, or Blackberry messaging…and don’t pass out.

2.  Saying “no” to the things that weigh me down. Vague much?

3.  Reading 5 non-fiction books.  Yes, this seems like a low number…but when the reality of living in Peru gets the best of me, I love to curl up with an FBI Thriller and pretend I’m an undercover Russian agent.  Maybe I’ll lower it to 4…

4.  Only go out for coffee 2 times a month (budget anyone?)

5.  Watch less on Netflix—I admit it, I love watching an entire 6 seasons of LOST one right after the other.  Hey, don’t judge--with 4 kids, carpooling in a city of 9 million to get the boys to school, no canned goods, and paying $4.80 for 8oz of imported cheddar cheese…I think I deserve one guilty pleasure, right!?

6. Complain less.

7. Run more.

8. Count my blessings. As in really literally count them.  By writing them on a piece of paper and posting it.  I’ll be forcing encouraging my kids to do this also.

9. Build up my toolbox of things to pull out when I have to try and understand my incredibly sensitive, intense, and spirited child.  A hammer is not an appropriate tool.  I know this.

10. Seek out service projects to do as a family—since moving to Lima, we don’t see the poverty in our face as much as we did in Abancay.  We want our kids to learn to be more giving.

11. Serve others.  

12. Be less selfish with my time and dare I say it, try to be more flexible. Ahhh, just typing it out has me gnawing on my arm with anxiety.

13. Spend more time devoted to the things that mean the most to me and that I’m passionate about.

No comments: