Monday, April 8, 2013

Seems like a million goodbyes

It might be exaggerating, but I think one of the hardest things about living overseas are the goodbyes.  You would think the first time would have been the hardest, the goodbye at the airport 11 years ago (2002) when we took our 15 month old by the hand and walked through the gate to come to Peru.  But I can honestly say, that every goodbye in the past 11 years have been tough, and they never seem to get any easier.

Saying goodbye to Papa-2003

Saying goodbye to Ama 2003

Saying goodbye to Tio Jeremy 2003

Cousins at the airport-2003
What is it about saying goodbye that just makes you want to weep at the thought of the loss.  I think for me, it's the idea that everyone will be continuing on with their lives in the U.S., the country where I was born and raised, and my life will remain standing still.  The trends will come and go, and my closet will remain the same (yes, I still have a few things that I brought with me 11 years ago).  The four different seasons will come and go, and Peru will still only have a rainy and dry season.  Nieces and nephews will grow and win awards and play on sports teams, and we'll miss all their achievements and games.  Siblings will get married, grandparents will pass away...and here we'll be.  It's not realistic to think we can jet back home on a whim, not even for something as important or special as a wedding or a funeral.

Jonathon pulling his backpack with Ama 2006

Saying goodbye to the Krohns-2006

The boys are excited to have rolling backpacks-2006

On the plane, headed to Peru after furlough-2006!
Recently our son, Jonathon, had to say goodbye to a good friend.  His best friend.  Jonathon is one of our more sensitive children, and any sort of change in routine or disruption in normal, daily life is extra hard for him.  When I told him in the car, that his friend wasn't going to be coming back I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and let him know that I have been in his exact shoes.  It's never easy no matter how old you are.  He'll make more friends, we all do, but those special ones that bring us joy and make us smile or laugh, and know just exactly what we like and who we are...those ones can't be replaced.

Trying to stay occupied in the airport
I don't ever doubt the decision we made to come to Peru, but the impact that goodbyes have on our family isn't something that everyone can understand.  And so we bear this burden together, it makes us stronger and closer as a family, and we know that while it doesn't get easier, we can choose to be thankful for such wonderful friends and family that making leaving so hard.

No comments: