Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sharing is not my strong point

I'm not a good sharer.  I don't like to share. Go ahead and judge me now.  I don't know if it's because I'm a first-born, if it's because I'm a girl, if it's because I'm a type-A organizational freak and I don't like people touching my stuff.  I don't know why, but sharing is like the plague.

Having four kids hasn't helped in my sharing deficiency.  I drink coffee because I don't have to share with my kids.  I enjoy a glass of wine because I don't have to share with my kids.  I'm selfish.  I know this.  I wonder how I got this way and there are times I do try to move past it and consciously do something about it, but it's hard.  Like super hard.

I don't like to share my computer because my kids think it's funny to add 50,000 widgets to my desktop and make it unorganized.  I don't like the kids to use my bathroom because who likes potty on the toilet seat or toothpaste on the mirror? I don't like to share my drinks because inevitably there are floaties that wind up taking over the entire glass.  When I eat chocolate, I want the whole thing and not just a bite.  When I have a brand new sharpened pencil, I want it to stay that way and I want the eraser to be clean.  I'm so weird.

The irony is not lost on me, my kids get in trouble for not sharing.  We teach our kids to share with each other, with their classmates, and sometimes even with strangers.  For me, this is a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of thing.  I am working on my faults and trying to let go of some of my perfectionism, but man, it's tough.  What are some of the things you have to let go?


No comments: